Monday, November 11, 2013

Teaching in Thailand

The weekend went by way too quickly, which is always fascinating when you don't do much.  I know, I know.  I live in Thailand, what do I mean I didn't "do much?"  This week I got through some sinus stuff.  Apparently slinging drinks across bars meant that I was able to build up immunity against adult germs and creepy men, but not against small children germs.  They sneeze and cough and lick their fingers.  Oh, and want to touch you all the time.  Hugs, high fives (that's my fault), open this, hold that, breathing on you, close talking, the list goes on.  I love kids.  So after dealing with further securing the well being of my immune system and throwing in a few 90 minute yoga classes directly after school, sitting on the porch with my friend and having some beers, a small brunch with new work friends, and getting ready for my week were just what the doctor ordered.

It was brought to my attention that I haven't yet shared much about my school or my job, how my day goes.  Because not much happened this weekend, so there isn't much to share on that front, and i've gotten through a few weeks of school now here it comes…

I'm required to clock in by 7:45 every morning.  In a land where efficiency is lacking and there is an overwhelming sense of "just relax," the irony of a fingerprint sign-in is not lost on me.  I also sign out at the end of my day with my index finger.  I walk across a massive campus and into the madness.  Some kids come in unaccompanied, my first graders are generally accompanied by a mom or dad.  Essentially, i'm forced into conducting 15 mini-one minute parent/teacher conferences every morning and sometimes afternoon.  Parents want to know how their child is doing with talking, reading, math, behaving, the project they brought yesterday.  Some of the parents speak very strong English, others do not.  They are all lovely people and it is nice to see involvement.  Unfortunately, there are several who fall at each end of the spectrum. On the one hand, i've got parents who will complete an entire Family Tree poster for their kid, and on the other hand i've got a parent who has been told repeatedly their kid is falling behind and they just don't seem to care.

At 8:00, the morning assembly begins.  All of the students get themselves to their respective spot on the floor with their class.  The foreign teachers and the Thai teachers rotate responsibility for "running the assembly."  Basically, this means when the foreign teachers are in charge the kids are playing games, singing songs, arm wrestling, competing in chubby bunny competitions, and having fun.  When the Thai teachers are in charge, they are chanting, clapping, and being lectured, military style.  We sing the Thai national anthem, the kids say a Buddhist prayer, and there is also a "tranquil song" with hand gestures.  It is all very different from what I can remember about my school experience.

I teach English (spelling, writing, reading, grammar, reading comprehension, critical thinking skills), Science and Math.  Most days I have the kids for three lessons, four on the busiest days.  They also learn Thai language, applied mathematics, history (Thai), and they swim once a week.  Guess who gets to swim with them?  It was surprisingly fun.

The largest obstacle is that these kids spend half their day with a teacher who yells, demands, gives orders, tells them what to do and think.  The other half of their day is spent with me, the kind of teacher who asks them to think for themselves, develop their own ideas and answers, and participate fully in class discussions/games/projects.  Often I have 18 pairs of eyes looking at me inquisitively, saying nothing at first.  Getting them to speak up can take a minute if i'm asking them about school stuff.  They are never lost for words throughout the day with each other.  I have to remind myself I used to get in trouble for talking or laughing too loud ALL THE TIME.

They are hysterical and i'll be posting pictures and videos soon.

The day ends with homeroom, which is cleaning up the classroom and getting homework together.  Half my class stays for an extra 50 minutes of English and then another 50 minutes of Thai.  Guess how much we get done at the end of the day in extra English?  All in all, they're great kids, minus the one or two I want to punt down the hallway throughout the day, and i'm really enjoying myself even more than i'd hoped.  I'm really happy to be here doing this.

Congratulations, to my friends Jenny and Dan, for tying the knot this weekend.  Missing the celebration wasn't easy, but having their support made it bearable.  I guess the fact that i'm living in Thailand helps too.


No comments:

Post a Comment