Sunday, November 24, 2013

Muay Thai

Last weekend, a colleague of Carey's invited us along to a Muay Thai Fight night.  Having no idea what to expect, but knowing I absolutely wanted to go, left me feeling anxious.  When we got out of the car at the arena, you could hear the music pumping, you could see the people standing to the side, waiting for the battles to begin.  To be clear, i've never been to any fight.  The closest i've gotten is a pay per view party with my brother's frat brothers when De La Hoya was defeated by Mayweather by a split decision.  I was crushed because prior to that fight, there were several late nights with dad where I felt an unexpected inclination toward De La Hoya.  I didn't even know who the guy was the first time I watched him, but I could see the fire in his eyes and I just thought, "this guy is the real deal."

Per usual in Thailand, the arena was an open air facility.  There was a small concession stand just before you walked into the seating around the ring where they were selling water and beer.  I snagged a couple and Carey's colleague Bobby showed us where the best available seats in the house were.  Second row back from the ring.  The first fight was between two young boys, maybe eight or nine.  Their focus was evident and I never saw an ounce of concern or fear.  They've probably been training for this their whole lives and chances are, this wasn't their first rodeo.  They were incredibly small, barely older than the kids I teach every day.  With every kick and punch one of them landed, I cringed. I just hoped they'd get through the five rounds without any blood.  The next fight was another pair of young boys, maybe a year or two older than the first, but still younger than I can ever imagine any boy being prepared to take a hit knowingly.  On and on the fights went and the men got older, bigger, stronger, faster.  There was one fight between two women.  The final fight was between two farangs (white guys).

What struck me most about this event was the civility.  Each fighter stepped into the ring.  Music (from the live "band") begin and, from their respective corner, they would begin a walk around the ring with one hand touching the highest rope.  They would then kneel in each corner and wai, or bow their head in what looked to be prayer.  They continued all the way around the ring, simultaneously, until they ended up back at their starting point.  I found out this routine was to ward off evil spirits that could cause damage to either fighter.  The two would then step to the middle of the ring where they would get down on their knees.  The music would change, and they would both begin a series of movements, each unique to the person presenting them.  They would stand and continue their movements, again around the ring.  This is in honor of the coach who has been training them.  Before the fight begins, the fighters also hug.  They battle it out for five rounds.  From what I could gather from Bobby (who spent the majority of the night going to the gambling mats), points are earned not just by hits landed or blocked, but also how the fighter carries himself.  The less affected they seem, the better.  The crowd helps as well.  Naturally, the longer the fight goes on and the more bets are placed, the more involved they all get.  When your fighter lands a hit, you yell "hey!"  There were a few instances of "Hey!  Hey!  Hey!  Hey!"  You can't help but get into it, even if you haven't bet or you're still cringing each time someone gets nailed.  Between the fourth and fifth round, each fighter goes to the opposite corner and their opponent's team cares for the fighter, giving him water and prepping him for the final round.  After the fight ends, the fighters hug again.  I caught myself thinking several times how lovely it all was, how traditional and respectful.  

I didn't place any bets.  I did see some blood.  I had some beers.  I met some new people.  It was a really fun night and I look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment