Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Intern for a Day

The men in my life, twin brother and dad.

Today I got to watch my dad and brother in action.  My brother is following in my dad's footsteps, forging a path in the world of (Clemson University, for now) sports news.  Dad is a veteran, been around for years.  He's a household name.  Listening to dad talk about how much brother knows, how talented and knowledgable he is, makes me proud.  Coming from dad, this is quite a compliment.  If ever there were an opportunity to call someone during a talk show regarding sports trivia, i'd call dad.. or at least I would have before I found out brother is a better bet, "he knows way more stats, players, history than I do."  They seem to have struck up a good balance.  They provide one another with support, there seems to be a professional give and take and a sense of enjoyment that hangs in the air when they are talking shop.  Dad doesn't hover and brother doesn't ride the coat tails.  Everyone knows who they are and there is an obvious level of respect for the both of them that just makes my heart swell with pride.  I was invited along for the ride this week, and of course I couldn't say no.

Dad, far left.  Brother, far right.  We're of small stature, ok?

Now, we'll have to ignore that my day was spent at my in-state school rival.  It was a sacrifice that had to be made, and I sucked it up.  I walked through the fancy parts of the stadium.  Helped with the filming of an online news segment.  I got the nickel tour, as my dad called it, of the sports facilities.  I met head coach, Dabo Swinney and Heisman front runner, Tajh Boyd, among others, following their press conferences.  Eat your heart out, Clemson fans.  No surprise, they are all nice guys.  Dad did most of the introducing, "This is my daughter Laurie, Hale's twin sister."  My favorite reaction came from Tajh, "Hale's sister?  Man.  That's my guy, Hale's my dude."  Mine too.  It's no surprise my guy isn't wild about this whole Thailand thing. 

Cast of Characters, Dad holding the microphone. Camerawork by yours truly.

In fact, when I first told my parents I was looking at teaching abroad and that I was hoping to leave in August or September, dad made sure to point out that I wouldn't be able to come home for Christmas.  What a strange detail to focus on, I thought.  I understand now where this came from and why.  Korea was the original intended destination and that went over like a ton of bricks in the McGranahan house.  It also led to one of the biggest (and only) fights i've ever had with my dad.  There were times I worried and wondered if we'd ever get back to being close like we were.  We did.  Yesterday we grabbed some brews.  We hit one of the skeeziest dive bars i've ever been in in my life.  Just like the old days.  We talked sports and travel and 'back in the day' stories, you know, the usual.  I don't know when it happened, it was before yesterday, but we had healed.  Our time together just confirmed that our relationship doesn't suffer eternally after one disagreement.  Family is supposed to challenge you, make you think, help you grow. 

It will be hard being far away from my family.  I remember my first Thanksgiving away from home, the first year I lived in Chicago.  Mom came up and we cooked in my tiny garden apartment.  My roommate slept until dinner.  Mom said she was never drinking again.  I just wanted to get through the day without throwing up.  Black Wednesday was a success.  The second year, I was on my own.  No mom, no family.  I cried a good bit, drank a lot of wine.  Again.  I got through it though, and each year it got a little bit easier.  You see, when half your family is working the week of Thanksgiving for college football rival week, it just doesn't make sense to fly south.  I began, that first year, learning how to make a family away from home.  My roommate and I had a hodgepodge of people over for dinner and we had a blast.  From there, my Chicago family grew.  I feel confident this will be the case no matter where I am in the world.  

Two weeks before take off and i'm already trying to prepare myself for my first Christmas away from home.  And by preparing myself, I mean not thinking about it.  I always thought my first Christmas not at home would be due to spending time with my boyfriend's family.  One minor detail...

A friend in Chicago asked me how my time home has been going.  I mentioned that few friends who lived in town had made an effort to reach out or to follow through with "let's hang outs."  I've been telling myself that everyone else is still living their life and mine is totally shifting gears.  Just because things are different for me right now, doesn't mean the world stops for them.  Oh yeah, that's right.  My friend reminded me simply that "family is the most important."  She's absolutely right.  Thank you, friend.  

When this is all said and done, the only certainty I have is that i'll be coming home to my family, and that's alright with me.  I'm lucky like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment