Friday, July 18, 2014

Wai Kru

I've been on a writing hiatus.  I promised myself I wouldn't write if there wasn't anything to write about because inner ramblings generally become stale, in my opinion.  Today, though, I experienced something worthwhile to rant about, so here it goes.  Warning: my anger reached new heights today.

Wai Kru is Teacher Appreciation Day.  My roommate and friend, Matt said it best as we messaged back and forth from across the unairconditioned gymnasium, "I'd like to be appreciated with a day off."  Genius.  Instead, I spent the first two hours of my day sweating through my uniform, trying my best to pick out the few Thai words I know and ignoring the surrounding sniggers coming from all the Thai teachers watching in delight as the farangs melted.

Let me break down rehearsal.  The first half hour of our totally unorganized sauna session included moving lines of children to the left, to the right, front, back, by eight steps, each time.  Sit down, stand up, scoot over, get in a straighter line.



They chanted.  I don't know what they say.  I believe it is Buddhist, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since everyone at the school is not Buddhist.    This isn't America, though, so the majority's way is everyone's way.  If you are different, prepare for ridicule.  Guess what?  The chanting wasn't perfect the first time and that just will not do because everything is about show here.  Thus the kids chanted the same thing repeatedly until they all said it in unison.  We listened to a teacher rant about who knows what for another decade.

Then the "appreciation" part started.  This involved teachers herding the children through channels of other childrens' hats and shoes to line up in front of all of the Thai and foreign teachers (one class at a time).  Then they were told to stand in a wai position (think Christian prayer style, but the tips of your fingers are touching your nostrils), then get down on their knees, and put their foreheads to the floor.

Uncomfortable foreign teachers...

I believe this is a gesture generally reserved for sitting in front of a monk, but for tomorrow, my status moves a step up the ladder.  I'll be ladened with flowers and gifts because I. am. the. shit.

I would rather just be given the day off.. but who doesn't love flowers?





No comments:

Post a Comment